Featured Post

Clearly, Not Everyone Is Getting Rich Off The Stock Market

Image
Well, the NY Fed was out today with its Quarterly Report on Household Debt and Credit for Q4 2017. Clearly, Americans are in a lot of debt. Take a look. Just a couple of quick hits from the report. Total U.S. household debt rose $193 billion in the 4th quarter, to a new all-time peak of $13.15 trillion. That's 17.9% above the most recent trough in Q2 2013. Broken down by segment, what do you suppose was the largest gain in percentage terms? Credit cards, with a 3.2% increase. In the picture above, the widening gap represented by the red arrows reflects the fact that non-housing debt is rising at a faster pace than housing debt. Here's what's troubling about that. Below is a picture of the stock market, as represented by the S&P 500 index, over that same period; from the most recent credit trough in Q2 2013 to the end of 2017. And thus, the title of this article. Over that period, the S&P 500 index rose by 75%; from roughly 1,600 to 2,800. Apparently, ho

Some Life & Investment Advice To A Millennial

I recently wrote an article for Seeking Alpha suggesting a specific ETF-based portfolio for millennials to consider as their New Year's resolution going into 2017.

In the comments section, I received the following question from a 25-year old reader.
If this has already been answered, I apologize, but why would someone invest in this portfolio rather than increase their IRA contributions or save up to contribute to their Roth? The reason I am asking is that I have been thinking about investing outside of my IRA, but to me, it does not make sense to use that extra money in a taxable account, where I could use it in a nontaxable instead . . .
I ended up writing a fairly long response to this young man. As I reviewed it afterward, it occurred to me that this might form a nice article in and of itself.

So, here it is:

Noah,

I'm quite a bit older than you are, but perhaps I can address your question by describing how I run my financial affairs.

First, pretty much all my life I have lived by the mantra "as little debt as possible." As just one example; after buying my first house, I decided I would save FIRST and pay for any upgrades with cash, as opposed to taking a second mortgage, running up a home equity line or the like. Now, that meant I had to be patient. I didn't have the nicest looking house on the block right away. But neither was I ever in deep debt.

Cars? Haven't had a loan on a car since I was in my early-30s. Well, that's not technically true. I bought a Subaru Outback in 2013 and they gave me interest-free 48-month financing. I had plenty of cash in savings to write a check for the car. But, at zero interest, I decided to keep that money in savings and at least get my lousy 1%. So, let's modify that to "haven't had a loan on a car on which I paid any interest since I was in my early-30s."

As far as 401(k), my policy has been to be sure I took full advantage of the employer match. It's free money, right? Typically, this has meant I have contributed 6% of my salary. The key is that I started early enough that I haven't had to do anything dramatic in later life in a desperate attempt to catch up. 

But, at 25, there's another component to your life. All the years between now and when you can get to that retirement money. For me, I break it down into 2 basic categories: 1) SAVINGS - I have online savings accounts at Ally Bank and Synchrony Bank and have enough stashed away to cover any and all "emergency fund" needs, pull some out once in a while for a nice vacation to Italy (see the beautiful picture on my Twitter account and personal blog), and other such. 2) INVESTMENTS - Over and above that, I invest in ETFs (and a couple of individual stocks) just like I recommend in my articles. While my goal is to rarely if ever touch this money, I could if I wanted to. So, for example, if an incredible opportunity to purchase a piece of real estate popped up, I could go here for the funds.

In summary, I guess I would say that life has two parts. Sure, the retirement component is important. But you've also got a lot of years to live before then. Make sure you handle your finances holistically, with all segments of your life in mind.

Oh yeah, and be sure to have a little fun along the way. The sad reality is that any of us can have the most perfectly-laid plans negatively impacted by some unforeseen event. A now-deceased uncle of mine, who lived through the Depression, once told me to live life from two perspectives: 1) Make sure to put something away for the future but, 2) Also never to forget to have at least a few great experiences while you are young (and healthy) enough to enjoy them!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clearly, Not Everyone Is Getting Rich Off The Stock Market

Best iShares ETFs - A Core Portfolio For Fidelity Brokerage Clients

Here's What It Takes To Afford The Median Home In San Francisco